In the count down against fascism, this is it. Even in California, we have plenty of local issues and campaigns to challenge us, hopefully without militias or other terrorist organizations harassing us when we vote. You can use this guide as you fill out your ballot if you live in Oakland and get your vote in soon!
City Council & School Board Candidates:
D1 City Council-Dan Kalb for the environment and affordable housing.
D1 School Board-SamDavis #1 for justice & accountabily. Stacy Thomas #2
D3 City Council-Carroll Fife for progressive change & community concerns.
D3 School Board-Van Cedric Williams #1, Chrisse Gash #2.
D5 City Council-Noel Gallo #1, Richard S Raya & Zoe Lopez Meraz, either #2 or #3
D5 School Board-Mike Hutchinson
D7 City Council-Treva Reid #1, Aaron Clay #2
D7 School Board-Victor Valerio #1, Ben Tapscott #2
At Large City Council-Rebecca Kaplan for blight removal, solutions for homelessness, budget oversight.
City Attorney-No recommendation, sorry, Parker is good on tenants rights but bad on police oversight. Ferran is too unknown.
Yes on Measure QQ- Yes
Yes on Measure RR-Yes
Yes on Measure S1-Police Oversight, independent civilian review
Yes on Measure Y-a weak yes
Yes on Measure W, half-cent general sales tax that will raise ~$150 million a year for 10 years address Alameda County’s homeless crisis.
Yes on Measure V, applies to unincorporated Alameda County
Superior Court Judge-Elena Condes– Latinx defense attorney endorsed by the majority of judges in the county.
AC Transit Board of Directors, At-large: HE Chris Peeples, Ward 2-Jean Walsh
Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) Board of Directors, District 3-Rebecca Saltzman, District 7-Lateefa Simon
Peralta Community Colleges:
D2 Kevin Jenkins, D6 Dyana Delfin Polk
State Senate:California State Senate, District 9: Nancy Skinner
State Assembly:California State Assembly, District 15: No Recommendation [take a look at Sara Brink]
State Assembly:District 18: Rob Bonta
Our Own Barbara Lee
President & Vice President
Joe Biden and Kamala Harris– the less said about Joe as a politician, the better, just vote to fire the fascist fool. In any case, Joe is a nice guy. We could have done worse. In fact we have.
- Yes on Prop 14, Stem Cell Research Institute Bond Initiative
- Yes on Prop 15, Schools & Communities First, California Tax on Commercial and Industrial Properties for Education and Local Government Funding Initiative
- Yes on Prop 16, Repeal Proposition 209 Affirmative Action Amendment
- Yes on Prop 17, Voting Rights Restoration for Persons on Parole Amendment
- Yes on Prop 18, Primary Voting for 17-Year-Olds Amendment
- No on Prop 19, Property Tax Transfers, Exemptions, and Revenue for Wildfire Agencies and Counties Amendment – No Endorsement
- No on Prop 20, Criminal Sentencing, Parole, and DNA Collection
- Yes on Prop 21, Initiative, Local Rent Control Initiative
- No on Prop 22, App-Based Drivers as Contractors and Labor Policies Initiative
- Yes on Prop 23, Dialysis Clinic Requirements Initiative
- No on Prop 24, Consumer Personal Information Law and Agency Initiative
- Yes on Prop 25, Replace Cash Bail with Risk Assessments Referendum